Tuesday 4 October 2011

IDSWest 2011

Well I always know fall has arrived because it kicks off all the great Vancouver Design and Home and Garden events. This past weekend my husband and I attended the IDS West 2011 show, featuring ‘the best’ in residential design. I have to say I was very impressed by the show this year and felt like it was a real step up from years past. Everything from amazing inventive lighting, to artwork and giant cozy yarn balls for seating. With over 200 vendors there was definitely something for everyone. A few stood out to me amongst the rest.

Yarn Ball Seating


Custom Wine Storage


Inspiration Furniture Display

The Living Lab, a Canadian company located on the North Shore. I loved the contemporary feel of the furniture mixed with more traditional accessories and fabrics of their display. The item which caught my eye the most were black custom frames they had displayed. They were so intricate and beautiful, a true statement in any room for featuring artwork. Apparently they had so many inquiries about the frames that they had over 50 custom orders lined up. I love supporting Canadian business – we truly do have a unique design sense unlike anywhere else. I will definitely be checking them out in the near future! http://www.thelivinglab.ca/products/




Then there is 18 Karate a store after my own heart. They combine the contemporary with elegance that displays a true mix of international design. They specialize in interior design accessories and have locations all throughout North America, as well as Japan and Switzerland, you see the design influence of these locations in all their products. They use a wide range of materials in their accessories everything from glass, concrete, stone, and clay, wood and vine, as well as resin. They have everything from vases, candlesticks, to amazing textiles and hand knit throws, to kitchenware.



18 Karate Hand Knit Throws

I cannot go without mentioning Orling and Wu, one word AMAZING. I almost died when I saw some of the wallpaper they had featured…now we know I love wallpaper but this was just a step beyond. This fantastic store is located in Gastown. Their products are as they say, ‘carefully selected in a fresh mix of contemporary, vintage and classic Europeon style’.  Their products range from tableware, decorative fabrics, wall coverings, and home accessories.



Metropolis Wallpaper

Other items that stood out amongst the rest were the wide variety of lighting. The unique and innovative concepts the designers come up with to create fashionable yet functional lighting really stood out to me. As I have said before lighting is so important to every space and it is great we have so many amazing local lighting designers.




There was also a lot of bathtubs displayed, and I am not talking about any old bathtub, but the kind where you can just see yourself spending all evening in soaking up the bubbles and enjoying a glass of red wine. They were design statements in themselves that would make any bathroom which featured them stand out.

Blu Bathworks





Saturday of the event featured a ‘House and Home Day’ which sadly I was not able to make it out to. They had presentations by House and Homes VP of Communications, Mark Challen and Editor in Chief, Suzanne Dimma. During these interviews they revealed secrets to fabulous design and how to create polished and professional looking rooms. I have no doubt these presentations were noteworthy and if anyone was able to see them I would love to hear about it!
Thanks for reading – I will keep you posted on any upcoming Vancouver design events!
~ Daniela

2 comments:

  1. nice post!! Felt almost like I was there!Loved the bathtubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Friend! The bathtubs were awesome! Wish ou were here!!!

    ReplyDelete