Tuesday 20 September 2011

Cooper Guest Room

I am sooooo excited to almost complete our guest bedroom. My husband and I are recent homeowners and over the past year have spent many hours painting, shopping, and lets be honest slaving at making our home ‘just right’. The guest bedroom was a bit lower on the priority list but I am thrilled that it is almost complete.
The colour of the room actually completely changed from what I had initially envisioned. I knew that we would be using all white furniture that we already owned (and that I love I might add) something about white just looks so fresh and chic to me! And originally I had wanted the room to be a robin’s egg blue and have a  country chic look. When the time came to actually paint I wasn’t feeling the blue so much and was a little stuck on which colour to go for, and if I am truthful almost went for my all time favorite go – to colour, grey, which is always a good choice and comes in SO many wonderful shades but in the end not right for this room. As I was meandering through Home Sense one day I came across these pillows, and they became my inspiration for the room. I just loved all the warm colours and how they worked together.


I ended up going for a pale yellow from the Martha Stewart line called ‘Chopstick’. I absolutely LOVE it, this soft yellow gives the room such a cheery romantic feel and I love the contrast with the white furniture.



I found an awesome duvet set, again from home sense, with embroidered flowers on the cover and pillows that bring in the shabby chic look I just love.



Ok so you are going to begin to see a particular trend in me….I get a lot of things from Homesense. Although I do believe in a good balance of quality items and then ‘good finds’, the type of items that will be perfect for a time but that you may grow tired of or just simply want to switch up in a little while.

The next piece to the room was to find some accessories to tie everything together. I knew I wanted a mirror in the room to open up the space a bit, and I did just so happen to come across this mirror in Homesense. The colour was a little bit off though, being more of a creamy off white and I needed white white. So it became a little project for me and I ended up just painting the frame of the mirror a stark white and it turned out looking great! The brush strokes actually gave the mirror more of an antique look which I was going for and matched the style of the rest of the furniture. Never be afraid to experiment with something like this and give it a little personal touch, I have done this lots before with frames and they end up looking great!




The next piece for the room was lighting. I knew I wanted a chandelier to go along with the romantic chic look of all the other pieces. I already owned a perfect lamp for the nighttable, one with a glass body and brass pedestal and wanted a chandelier as the main ceiling fixture. I had been eyeing this particular chandelier for years actually and when I went to buy it, SALE, so great. Lighting is such an important part of the space you are designing; it can add so much character and drama to a space and is an essential piece to completing your room, if the lighting is off it throws everything off.






Personal accessory, framed picture of my Omi, a classic beauty – this is her photographed at age 18 being presented to Queen Victoria.


Well I hoped you enjoyed the process of Cooper Guest Bedroom coming together. Next step artwork for above the bed and DRAPES! Will I go custom or will I find the perfect match??? Thanks for reading!
~ Daniela

1 comment: